Vacancy: Executive Director, International Water Association
The Hague, Netherlands
IWA’s vision is a world in which water is wisely managed to satisfy the needs of human activities and ecosystems in an equitable and sustainable way. We inspire change by servicing IWA members, the community of water professionals and opinion leaders; and by being the global source of knowledge, experience and leadership for sustainable urban and basin-related water solutions.
IWA is a worldwide network for water professionals and companies, with a membership comprising utilities and leading companies in the fields of water services, infrastructure engineering and consulting as well as more than 7,000 individuals. The IWA network is structured to promote multi-level collaboration among its diverse membership groups, and to share the benefit of knowledge on water science, technology and management worldwide.
Each year IWA organises and sponsors over 40 specialised conferences and seminars on a wide variety of topics in water management in locations worldwide. IWA publishes 14 scientific journals and 40+ books per year on water management. IWA members develops leading edge innovations and combines these through the work of the 49 IWA Specialist Groups and a set of global programmes focused on Cities of the Future, Water Sanitation Services and Basins of the Future. IWA has a worldwide staff of approximately 70, with headquarters in London and offices in The Hague (Netherlands), Bangkok, Beijing and Nairobi.
Purpose of the Role
- To work with the Board and senior management to develop and grow the organisation to deliver on the IWA’s global strategy
- To ensure strong leadership of the IWA’s reputation and brand
- To champion and lead on the key principles underpinning the work of the IWA and its relationships with participating partners, ensuring the collective interests of the IWA are both promoted and maintained
- To lead and inspire staff, volunteers, members, supporters, partners and stakeholders to make their most effective contribution to the IWA’s vision and mission
- To influence opinion formers, policy makers and legislators internationally, and providing the greatest possible opportunity for the IWA and its members
- To manage all resources efficiently to maximise the opportunity for the IWA to succeed in its mission
- To ensure that an effective performance management process is in place to demonstrate delivery of strategy, to review its relevance, and to identify performance issues as early as possible, ensuring consistency of quality and approach
- To ensure that the IWA actively involves its members and takes their views and insights into account
Candidates for the role of Executive Director will ideally demonstrate all or most of the following:
- A proven track record of setting and articulating a compelling vision and leading and managing complex and diverse operations through a period of significant change
- Experience of working in an international organisation with a strong appreciation and sensitivity to differing cultural contexts
- Confident and effective communication skills with a wide range of international audiences
- Demonstrate experience of building and sustaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders including members, volunteers, and multiple other partners
- The ability to empathise with, and communicate effectively/appropriately with internal and external stakeholders
- An understanding of and commitment to the values of the IWA
- A proven track record of effective strategic planning, instilling business acumen, risk management and financial rigour
- Experience of leading, developing and motivating a highly effective team
- Successfully leading, motivating and inspiring a, dedicated staff and membership, and an understanding and appreciation of the value members and volunteers bring to the IWA
The role is based in The Hague, The Netherlands and reports into the Non-Executive President.
The role also involves regular international travel.
How to apply:
Applicants are requested to submit their CV in English along with a supporting letter by e-mail to email@example.com
Please note that the deadline for the receipt of CVs and supporting letters has been extended to the 10th March 2017.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED